Monday, February 23, 2009

No. 44, The Mysterious Stranger

As I was lying in bed last night, waiting for sleep to come, and ruminating over the day's events, for some reason I recalled a story by Mark Twain that I had read some time ago: "No. 44, The Mysterious Stranger."

Like all of Twain's stories, this one pulled my along as I read, never seeming to reveal what was promised, but just kept going - and kept me reading. It was fascinating at times, especially to think that Mark Twain had concocted this particular story of visitors from the future - part fantasy and part science fiction in its feel.

But I'm afraid that ol' Mr. Clemens would be sorely disappointed if he were to speak to me today (or even immediately upon my finishing). I'm not certain that I understood the story, or any idea he might be trying to convey.

Anyone else had better luck with this particular story? Perhaps someone can share some insight that I missed...

No comments:

Post a Comment