Friday, May 1, 2009

Wow! (Neil Gaiman - American Gods)

Just finished my introduction to Neil Gaiman - by reading his novel American Gods. Wow!

I love mythology, and since this book emulates so well the old Norse and Greek and Egyptian myths, but in a new setting (America!), adds an interesting twist, and wraps it all in descriptive, readable text - I couldn't put it down! And when was the last time characters in a book discussed the philosophy of Julian Jaynes (He of the Origin of Consciousness in the Break-down of the Bicameral Mind)?

Besides the plot and the ability to keep me guessing as to how it might all turn out, I really, really enjoyed Gaiman's prose - his wonderful working of the English language into something exciting, with often surprising juxtapositions. In one sequence, as the protagonist drifts into a dream, and 'Darkness roared.'

Gaiman has roared into my awareness, and I look forward to reading more. Hopefully they are all as compelling!

No comments:

Post a Comment